Orchid cactus is one of the best plants to grow around your home. They make the house look attractive by showing off their big, cup-shaped blooms hanging on the pots that you were planting. These plants usually shoot their flowers during the end of spring and are estimated to be 10-15 inches in width.
Hybrid cactus is highly recommended by many people thanks to the great beauty they add to the surroundings. The plants tend to shoot flowers in different colors such as yellow, red, white, orange, purple and many others. On your side, all you need is to ensure the cactus is well taken care of for you to enjoy its beauty around your home.
One way to ensure that your cactus is well-taken care is by pruning the stems to provide more space for light to penetrate. Ones you cut the extra stems, don’t toss them away since you can still plant them.
How to make it flower. If you want your cactus to blossom and yield freshly looking flowers, there are a few tips that you need to incorporate. They include;
• Go slow during the winter seasons
The winter seasons have favorable climates here the weather is cold with some rainfalls. As we all know orchid cactus can survive even during the harsh climate conditions since they can store water in their stems for a very long time. So, to avoid them overgrowing during the winter, go easy in maintenance.
Just water them in moderate and avoid fertilizing them during this time. If it is raining then avoid watering the plants at any cost. It should go on for about 8 to 10 weeks.
• Ensure there is enough light
Just like the rest of the plants, orchid cactus also require enough lighting for excellent growth. Therefore, wherever you opt to plant them, make sure there is enough lighting penetrating through. If they are on the outdoor area, ensure there is enough lighting reaching the plants but keep them shaded during the summer seasons as the high UV rays can damage and cause them to wither.
• Add Potash
Potash is a form of fertilizer which is added to plants to facilitate healthy growth. So, to ensure the orchid cacti can grow well and blossom accordingly, considers introducing this fertilizer at an early stage probably when the plant begins to shoot.
• Avoid constant moving during budding
Avoid movements ones the plant has started to develop buds since regular movement causes the change of the temperatures and light which may affect the blossoming flowers and buds. Ensure the temperatures are moderate during this stage of the plants.
• Change the pot
It is advisable that you
How to choose the right orchid cactus.
Not all plant sellers will have the right plants at the nursery. Therefore, it is crucial that you know what to look out for when buying your plants. Although initially the orchid cacti were known as epiphyllous, the plants are currently known as Nopalxochia. They come in two different kinds which are the hybrid and cultivars. Also, unlike before where the plants were known to bloom during the night, the new hybrids are also ideal for day time blooming.
The history of orchid cactus
The orchid cactus hybrids were grown in the southern part of Mexico. They are estimated to grow up to 4 ft in height although you can control its growth by cutting it to your preferred height. The plants require being grown in an area where there is enough brightness but far away from direct UV rays.
Tips for caring for Orchid cactus
• Water the plant
It is advisable that you water the plant all through the season except in winter where you are supposed to water sparingly depending on the climate. Always keep the soil moist throughout.
• Keep the humid and temperatures moderate
Regardless of where you opt to grow the plants at, make sure the humid remain 50 to 60 percent always. The temperatures should range from 60 to 75 degrees F in room temperature and ones the plants start to bud, adjust the temperatures to 60 to 65 degrees during the day and 7-13 degrees during the winter nights.
• The soil
The soil is mixed in the ratio of 1: 1. Add one potting and one per lite.
• Fertilize the plants
It would be best if you fertilized the plants from early in spring all through the fall. Ensure to add the fertilizer every two weeks. Liquid high potassium fertilizer is the best for orchid cactus, and you should dilute it half before adding to the plants.
It is a great idea to propagate the plants when pruning in case you need to increase the orchid cactus in your home. So, cut about 4 to 6 inches of the stem for this purpose. Do this during the spring season.
How to grow orchid cactus
Orchid cactus also referred to as epiphyllous are known to produce yellow and white flowers. One unique character about these plants is that they bloom their flowers during the night. Unlike other plants, the orchid cacti require special care and process followed to enable them blossom well and survive in all seasons.
The following are tips to follow when growing the orchid cactus.
• Ensure the container you are planting these plants has holes at the bottom. Then add one part of peat, two pieces of uncouth sand and lastly one part of crushed lava rocks.
• Cut a portion of stem from an adult orchid cactus and dip it in a rooting hormone for about two weeks after the two weeks get the soaked stalks and place them in the peat mixture container.
• Ensure to water the plants moderately to facilitate the growth. However, don’t add too much water to a point where the peat will turn out all soggy. Ensure the soil remains moist.
• Ensure to fertilize the plants especially during the fall, spring, and summer to facilitate healthy growth.
• Keep on checking on the humid and temperatures of the plant since these two conditions affect its growth. The right temperatures should range from 45 to 75 degrees F.
• The other essential step to follow is pruning ones the plants begin to grow bushy. Pruning helps to create more space for the plant to breathe and even start the sprouting process. Take advantage of this stage to add more orchid cactus to your home by planting the pruned stems.
• Ensure the plants are in an area where there is no direct contact with UV rays but ensure there is ample brightness penetrating.
Best ways to grow orchid cactus
These plants suit best when in a hanging form where you can plant them in a basket or any hanging device that you refer to sue. The plant grows by spreading the stems which cover the pot hence making the area looking more glamorous especially when the flowers blossom.